Sussex County Community College
Listing Last Update: November 12, 2015
- To learn English
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
Academic ESOL / 3 Credit Courses for College Tuition
- Improve your workplace communication
- Prepare to take college courses
- Communicate more effectively with your children's teachers.
Grammar • Reading & Vocabulary Development • Writing • Conversation
American Language and Civics / 9.0 Continuing Education Units
Free courses for ESOL students
- Instruction in four levels; literacy, beginning, intermediate, and advanced.
- Vocabulary, grammar, and speaking skills are developed with an emphasis on practical topics needed for daily living in the United States
The Program follows the SCCC semester schedule of 15 weeks, offers small group instruction, and individual counseling.
Upon entry you will receive a personal interview to discuss your educational and career goals, and a language assessment to assure that you are placed in the correct level.
Vision: Sussex County Community College will be a leader in NJ Higher Education as a premier provider of 21st century learning opportunities, professional training, and skills development to meet the needs of the people of our community in a globally competitive environment.Mission Statement:
We transform lives by providing lifelong learning opportunities through high quality academic, career and enrichment programs in an accessible and supportive environment to ensure student success.
College Core Values:
- Student Centeredness – Putting students first.
- Academic Excellence – Ensuring a quality academic experience.
- Integrity – Acting with transparency and ethics in all that we do.
- Quality Workplace – An environment that attracts and maintains the highest quality faculty and staff.
- Innovation – Building on successes, investing in technology and embracing change.
- Diversity – Creating an environment that cultivates civility and respect.
- Environmental & Fiscal Stewardship – Respecting our responsibility to the community.
Hours of operation: ESOL Classes 9:30am -12:00pm Mon. & Wed. Evening classes 6:30pm - 9:00pm Mon. & Wed.
Cost info: Students participating in the American LAnguage and Civics Program must purchase a text book.
Student and Volunteer Success Stories
"The College has provided me with a supportive family — great professors; great library and resources" Igor Gamos
"My classmates are very nice and my professors are extremely helpful." Caroline Batshon
Lara-Sophie Pointner,an ESOL student at Sussex County Community College won first prize in the New Jersey Association of Life Long Learning's (a professional association that encourages the growth and development of lifelong learning and lifelong learners in the state of New Jersey) statewide, Learner Writing Contest. The contest had four categories; Fiction, Non-Fiction, Memoir, and Poetry. Lara won first prize in the Non-Fiction category for her essay titled, "The Irony of Social Media and One World" She also submitted a poem which will be published in the magazine