Start the Adventure in Reading (STAIR)
Listing Last Update: August 13, 2018
- To read and write better
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
Founded in 1985, STAIR is an after-school, volunteer-based non-profit literacy program that provides trained volunteers to tutor and mentor 1st through 3rd grade public school students who are in danger of failing reading at no cost to their families.
STAIR's mission is to improve the reading skills and self-esteem of at-risk lower public elementary school students.
Hours of operation: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Cost info: STAIR provides one-on-one reading tutoring at no cost to families or schools.
Student and Volunteer Success Stories
End of school year parent surveys indicate that parents LOVE STAIR!
- 97% said that STAIR boosted their child's interest in reading.
- 99% said that STAIR improved their reading skills.
- 99% said they felt welcomed at STAIR.
- 99% said STAIR was convenient.
- 100% said that their child enjoyed their relationship with their tutor.
Parents shared many quotes similar to the following:
"Since Carter started tutoring, his reading skills have greatly improved. Even his teacher and academy principal noticed a change in his reading. Thank you and I appreciate everything."
STAIR utilized approximately 300 volunteers as tutors during the 2017-18 school year.
- 130+ tutors returned from the previous year.
- 192 potential volunteers completed tutor training.
- 117 new tutors were assigned to and worked with STAIR students.
The feedback we receive from our volunteer tutors at the end of the is highly valued. For the 2017-18 school year, we received responses from 128 volunteer tutors representing 21 sites.
99% of tutors felt that the STAIR curriculum was effective and easy to follow.
- 97% of our tutors felt that their student's reading improved during the year.
- 96% felt that their student exhibited more confidence in reading.
For the 2018-19 school year, STAIR will serve approximately 220 first through third grade students at 25 tutoring locations from 41+ public elementary schools where between 78% and over 95% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch. STAIR's impact on the academic success of program-enrolled students is proven. During last school year, students experienced an average increase in school administered assessments of 91% and a 111% percent increase in STAIR administered words correct per minute.