Listing Last Update: September 23, 2021
Location407 Columbus Avenue
Grand Haven, MI 49417 www.readottawa.org
- To read and write better
- To help my child learn
- To study for my high school equivalency exam
- To learn English
- To improve my technology skills
- To become a U.S. citizen
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
READ Ottawa provides free one-on-one tutoring for adults in Ottawa County who want to strengthen their literacy skills. Students meet with a volunteer tutor for 1-2 hours a week in order to work towards their literacy goals (GED preparation, ESL, Citizenship, reading to children and grandchildren, better employment opportunities).
"... to provide Ottawa County adults with an opportunity to improve and transform their lives by strengthening their reading and language skills."
Student and Volunteer Success Stories
- Anne met with her 19 year old student 9 hours a week, became his advocate at school and helped him secure affordable medical treatment that had changed his ability to learn. She helped him reach his goal of attending trucking school.
- Richard's 30 year old student's goal was to secure a full time job, learn a trade and earn a living wage. He had been working at a fast food restaurant for over 13 years at minimum wage. Richard helped him learn how to navigate job applications, practice interviewing techniques and helped locate potential employers. His student now has a full time position with increased wages.
- Gil, a student from India,owns and runs a local business. He could only read at a third grade level, but wanted to become a U.S. Citizen. Working with his tutor, he reached his goal within 6 months.
Adult Basic Education Learners
English as a Second Language Learners