Oakland Family Literacy Program
Listing Last Update: September 23, 2019
LocationMcClymonds Educational Center
2607 Myrtle Street, RM 122
Oakland, CA 94607 www.ousd.org/oace
- Reading and writing
- English language
- How to use Computers/Technology
- Citizenship Classes
- Family literacy program
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
The Family Literacy program supports the Oakland Unified School District strategic plan for Full Service Community Schools by empowering parents and guardians to:
- Support their children's academic progress.
- Develop family engagement and leadership skills in full service community schools.
The Family Literacy program provides quality academic and literacy instruction to OUSD parents in order to:
- Develop, increase and build on the literacy skills of parents.
- Develop the skills of the parents to support their child's academic success.
- Develop family engagement and leadership skills toward meaningful family engagement.
ESL Family Literacy Classes:
These are classes designed for parents who need to learn basic English speaking skills so they can support the academic and personal success of their school-aged children.Parents will improve their English skills while learning how to support their child's education.
- Parents learn the English they need to talk with their children's teachers.
- Parents can use the same technology reading intervention programs or the same English Language Development framework as the children. In this way, parents better understand how their children learn.
- Parents become school leaders, e.g., the president of the school English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC).
- As part of the Family Literacy program, parents regularly visit their child's class during Parent and Child Together (PACT) time.
- The Family Literacy program offers an inter-generational approach to education, towards breaking cycles of poverty in Oakland.
- Parents learn email, internet safety and academic improvement /tutoring websites.
- Parents learn to use the internet to access the parent portal, where they monitor their children's assignments, grades and attendance.
OACE Vision: OACE strives to be the resource for positive and continuous growth, enabling adult students to become contributing workers, lifelong learners, global citizens and full participants in their diverse communities.
OACE Mission: OACE provides high-quality foundational and instructional skill programs to Oakland adults and their families in order for them to succeed in education, work and life.
Cost info: All our classes are free to students.
Share great news about this program here (e.g., This program helped me improve my skills and start a new job!)