Hawkeye Adult Literacy Program
Listing Last Update: January 28, 2020
LocationHawkeye Community College, Van G. Miller Adult Learning Center
120 Jefferson St.
Waterloo, IA 50701 www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/locations/adult-learning-center
- Reading and writing
- Find a family literacy program
- To help my child learn
- To study for high school equivalency
- English language
- How to use Computers/Technology
- Volunteer at a Program
- Citizenship Classes
- Family literacy program
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
The Hawkeye Adult Literacy Program offers comprehensive adult education and literacy services for the adult learner. Contact us to learn more about these exciting opportunities:
- Study and prepare for the HiSET exam so you can earn your High School Equivalency Diploma issued by the Iowa Department of Education. Our High School Completion Program offers leveled math and language arts classes, a Social Studies/Science class, and an independent study lab. A trained teacher staffs our study lab and student computers and online study material are provided. We offer an online class for those with qualifying scores.·
- HiSET testing is offered in our Assessment Center at a variety of times and days weekly.
- Career exploration and transition to college services are provided by our Career Pathway Specialist and our Transition Specialist.
- English Language Learning classes are offered at eight instructional levels from pre-literacy through bridge-to-college. Eligible students can enroll in our Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education class featuring instruction in Workplace Technology skills such as Excel, Word, and Google applications. Students in all classes learn speaking, listening, reading, writing, and computer skills to prepare them for life and work in the U.S. We have served English language learners from more than 100 countries in our program!
- Citizenship classes to prepare for the U.S. citizenship exam are offered to enrolled English Language Learners.
- We offer Family Literacy services to adults enrolled in our High School Completion Program or our English Language Learning Program. We support and encourage parents in their role as child's first teacher. We provide instruction and free children's books to enrolled parents.
- Our I-BEST program provides eligible students the opportunity to learn workplace skills and earn college credit at the same time. Adult basic education skills (reading, writing, math, English language proficiency, computer skills) are integrated into the college course content and taught in a workplace context. We currently offer I-BEST programming in CNC machining and Certified Nurse Aide.
Hours of operation: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm (M-F) & 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm (T,W,TH)
Cost info: Adult Literacy Programming is free! Some classes have a materials fee. Please call us for details about specific program materials costs.
Share great news about this program here (e.g., This program helped me improve my skills and start a new job!)