Submit a Student Success story - it may appear on our Blog!

NLD Image

YouthBuild

Listing Last Update: October 20, 2015

Location

1422 E Grayson Street
San Antonio, TX 78208
www.sanantonioyouth.org

Primary Contact

Josh Maratea

(210) 223-3131 Ext:219

josh@sanantonioyouth.org

Educational services

  • Reading and writing
  • To study for high school equivalency
  • English language
  • Math
  • How to use Computers/Technology
  • Information about the GED Test

Instruction Type

  • Classroom
  • Computer
  • Family literacy program

Program Overview

SA Youth provides free GED and workforce training for youth ages 16-24.

In 2010, researchers at Johns Hopkins released a report identifying 185 Texas high schools with attrition rates of at least 40% which they labeled “dropout factories." San Antonio had 15 of them. According to the Census Bureau, roughly 61% of the population in our target area has not earned a high school diploma or its equivalency, and 49.1% of the 18-24 year olds in the 78207 area is without a high school diploma.

According to the Census Bureau (2012) In San Antonio's underserved 78207 area, drop-outs ages 18 and older (does not include drop-outs under age 18) have equally as disturbing statistics: 17.8% ages 18-24 have not finished school; 18.5% ages 25-and older have not finished school; for a total of 36.3% ages 18 and older have not completed school . In this area, 28.1% of the individuals are below poverty, 44% of the individuals are not in the labor force, 122,905 18-24 year olds don't have a high school diploma (49%), and there are 25,169 incidences of homelessness (www.endhomelessness.org/files/619_file_SanAntonio_TX.pdf).

Data also shows that there are shortages of qualified labor in the three high demand areas that require skilled employees: construction trades, technology, and culinary/food industry. Workforce Solutions Alamo (WSA), San Antonio's regional workforce system, identifies occupations demonstrating strong regional growth potential and providing the best employment opportunities for local job seekers. WSA has projected growth from 2009 to 2018 in growing occupations to include a projected growth in the construction field of 14% to 26% in San Antonio. The 2011 average hourly wage for construction occupations is around $12 to $24 an hour . The projected growth in the technology field is between 14-32% increase. The 2011 average hourly wage for technology occupations is around $20 to 27 an hour. Food Preparation and Serving Workers and Restaurant Cooks are high growth industries in San Antonio with 27% and 32% growth respectively expected through 2018. Those percentages translate to over 17,000 job openings in those fields.

SA Youth's YouthBuild program serves young adults, ages 16 to 24 who have quit school, who are unemployed or underemployed, and who have diverse economic and social needs. The urban youth in our YouthBuild program live in blighted neighborhoods where crime, high school drop-out rates, teen pregnancy rates, and poverty rates all exceed the national average. Housing projects, gangs, poor housing conditions, low-performing schools and a variety of other social problems characterize these neighborhoods. Our program demographics are: 52% male, 48% female, 64% Hispanic, 19% African American, 15% Anglo and 2% other.

Fifty-one percent of our youth come from single parent households and 42% of the youth we serve live in households with an annual income of less than $15,000. Approximately 40% of these young people have children of their own and are unable to afford childcare. 100% of these youth we serve are dropouts. Thirty percent have no permanent living situation; and 50% report they have no access to a regular source of food outside of the YouthBuild program. The needs of this population are overwhelming, yet the barriers to succeed impede their ability to finish the program, particularly: food, transportation, childcare, clothing, and living arrangements.

SA Youth has been successful in recovering youth adults in our YouthBuild program, and successful at building sustainable homes in our community.

Recent accomplishments earned by SA Youth include the following:

• 2010 MetLife Innovation Award (for excellence in physical fitness and healthy lifestyles)

• City of San Antonio/Build San Antonio Green Green-Building Award in the area of New Residential Construction (2011),

• Ingram Park Auto Center's "Extra Mile Award" (2011 and 2013) and

• San Antonio Business Journal Fast Track award (2011).

• 2013 Healthiest Employer Award (SA Business Journal)

Hours of operation: 8am-5pm M-F

Cost info: FREE training FREE GED preparation FREE to youth ages 16-24

Share great news about this program here (e.g., This program helped me improve my skills and start a new job!)

Program Status:
Active