Submit a Student Success story - it may appear on our Blog!

NLD Image

Literacy Green Bay, Inc.

Listing Last Update: December 1, 2020

Location

424 S. Monroe Ave.
Green Bay, WI 54301
www.literacygreenbay.org

Primary Contact

Robyn Hallet

(920) 435-2474 Ext:103

rhallet@literacygreenbay.org

Educational services

  • To read and write better
  • To find a family literacy program
  • To help my child learn
  • To study for my high school equivalency exam
  • To learn English
  • To improve my math skills
  • To improve my technology skills
  • To become a U.S. citizen

Instruction Type

  • Classroom
  • Computer
  • Family literacy program

Program Overview

Literacy Green Bay was founded in 1981 as the Literacy Council of Brown County in response to provide tutors to work with newly arrived Southeast Asian refugees to help these individuals acquire English skills. This all-volunteer program was later expanded to include any under-educated adults, seeking help with basic skills, learning English and studying for the GED. Literacy Green Bay is a non-profit agency serving the literacy needs of families in Brown County, WI. Throughout our history, additional programs were created to address the evolving learning needs of our adult population. Current programming includes: one on one Adult Tutoring, English Language Learner classes with childcare provided, the Children First Family Literacy program featuring GED Classes, Workforce Development classes, Citizenship Instruction and Computer Skills and Assisted Instruction.

Mission Statement

Our mission is to help adults and families acquire the
reading, writing, math, English language, computer and workforce skills they need to function effectively as workers and community members.

Hours of operation: 8:30 am to 8:00 pm

Cost info: First time registration fee of $25; Students purchases their own textbooks. Special assistance is available

Student and Volunteer Success Stories

"I'm so happy this program exists, especially for us moms who didn't finish high school. The program is helpful, educational and encouraging. Not only do they help me prepare for my GED and get me to the grade level I need to be at, but they also help by providing childcare. While we're learning, our children are learning too. They learn how to play, share, to use their imagination, to be respectful, and how to interact with other kids. I am learning things that will help me find a job and make a better future for me and my kids." ---Andrea, Current GED Learner

"I completed my goal of becoming a United States citizen. I studied very hard and I am excited and happy to be an American citizen. I am excited to live where there is liberty, justice and the opportunity to participate in American democracy. I am also thankful for the opportunity to become a U.S. citizen because it is very important for my family. My children will be provided with a better education and have opportunities for successful careers." -- Rosa, an ELL learner and new US citizen

Program’s Demographics/Metrics

Literacy Green Bay's programs are intended for adult learners, 18 years and older. 85% of our program recipients are adult learners, with 43% between the ages 35 -54 years. The other 15% are children of our adult learners enrolled in our childcare or family literacy programs. 83% of our adult learners are English language learners, of which the majority are Hispanic. Our English Language learners represent 31 countries of origin. Our next two largest ELL sub groups are Southeast Asian/Hmong and Somali. The other 17% of adult learners served are those who have low literacy skills, or are working toward a GED, or need some "refreshing" of skills as they seek employment or entry to college. Literacy Green Bay serves anyone residing in the geographic area of Green Bay/Brown County and nearby outlying areas, although 97% of our learners do reside in Brown County with over 70% residing on the east side of Green Bay in the 54302 zip code, an area identified as having the highest concentration of low income households. 88% of our learners earn less than 50% of area median income ($34,000). Currently, 65% of our learners are female.

Program Status:
Active