Indochinese American Council
Listing Last Update: November 9, 2018
- To read and write better
- To find a family literacy program (families attend together)
- To help my child learn
- To learn English
- To volunteer at a program
- To become a U.S. citizen
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
Our Family Literacy Program incorporates ESL instruction, early childhood education, parenting, and interactive learning activities. This four-component model meets the literacy needs of the whole family, provides assistance to families in accessing school and community resources, helps parents work with their children's school staff to ensure the academic success of their children, and helps families acclimate to American cultural norms while maintaining their own cultural values and practices.
Our Family Literacy Program has four goals:
1) To develop English language proficiency;
2) To encourage parents and caregivers to be involved and be active participants in their children's education;
3) To strengthen parents role as their children's first teachers and empower them to use available resources to create meaningful learning experiences with their children;
4) To support cultural acclimation while maintaining or developing both parents' and children's understanding of and respect for their own culture.
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Cost info: Free
Student and Volunteer Success Stories
"Several times a week the parents in the program bring their children into our class and we work together to do a literacy activity. The parents have already practiced the literacy skills with each other in class, and are excited when they can use the skill with their children. Parents and children are more likely to participate together because this program happens in the same space and the KenCrest teachers are so accommodating and supportive of the program." -KenCrest Northeast Family Literacy Instructor