Listing Last Update: July 16, 2018
Location18000 W. Nine Mile Road
Southfield, MI 48075 www.beyondbasics.org/
- Reading and writing
- To help my child learn
- Volunteer at a Program
- Family literacy program
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
Beyond Basics collaborates with school communities to improve literacy through a suite of comprehensive educational programs that include one-on-one and small group tutoring, literacy-enrichment, and community partnership programs.
Read to Rise Tutoring provides one-on-one, intensive, on-site tutoring services. In these settings, students benefit from working with a professionally trained and certified tutor on a regular schedule. In order to create inspiring environments that provoke curiosity and compel interest in reading and life, the Read to Rise Tutoring program is paired with supplemental visual and literary arts programming critical to learner outcomes. Additional literacy and literacy-related programs complete the full Beyond Basics
Literacy Learning Suite:
• Reading Buddies: Reading and book exposure in small group and one-on-one settings with a mentor
• Publishing Center: Students work with a mentor to write original stories and publish books
• Art with the Masters: Students are exposed to higher order concepts that contribute to comprehension
• International Art & Writing Program: Connects students with peers across the globe and allows students to further practice concepts, vocabulary, and comprehension
• Expanding Horizons: Community partnership and mentoring programs pair students with organizations and leaders
Our objectives and methods are designed to connect children to the importance of reading and to create an environment of encouragement, instruction, and reinforcement, demonstrating value and pride in reading.
Hours of operation: 8:30am-5pm
Cost info: Beyond Basics reading and literacy-enrichment programs are available at no cost to K-12 students who attend our partner schools. Our partner schools for the 2017-2018 school year are as follows: Burton International School (Detroit), Downtown Boxing Gym (Detroit), Mumford Academy (Detroit), Mumford High School (Detroit), Myers Elementary School (Taylor), Sampson-Webber Leadership Academy (Detroit), Southeastern High School (Detroit), Thirkell Elementary-Middle School (Detroit), Whitman Elementary School (Pontiac)
Share great news about this program here (e.g., This program helped me improve my skills and start a new job!)