Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Hartford A Father's Business
Listing Last Update: December 29, 2016
Location60 Gillett Street
Hartford, CT 06105 www.ccaoh.org
- To read and write better
- To find a family literacy program
- To help my child learn
- To improve my math skills
- To improve my technology skills
You may use the contact information above to reach out to the program
or call 1-877-389-6874 for more help.
Since 2013, Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Hartford's Asylum Hill Family Center has offered the “A Father's Business" program to its target population, fathers of young children who reside in Asylum Hill with an interest in establishing their own small business. The program is designed to promote the economic stability of Asylum Hill's families with young children through entrepreneurial training and provide participants with knowledge and skills to develop a business plan and launch a small business.
The seed for “A Father's Business" was planted in early 2013 when Asylum Hill Family Center realized many fathers participating in Family Center programming had difficulties securing traditional employment, but possessed
unique skills in areas such as the graphic and visual arts and landscaping that are ideal for starting their own business/becoming self-employed. The Hartford, which is headquartered in Asylum Hill, was interested in funding a fatherhood program in the local neighborhood, and provided Catholic Charities with the support to successfully launch the program.
A Father's Business provides multiple services in six (6) distinct components;
1. Eight weeks of educational workshops serve as the instructional core of the program.
2. Individual coaching provided critical lesson reinforcement and follow up supports to the entrepreneurs. The entrepreneurs had access to a wide array of coaches and supports including Family Center staff and interns along with volunteers.
3. Technical assistance with writing business plans – The University of Hartford's Entrepreneurial Center teaches the two workshops on writing a business plan. The entrepreneurs also have access to the Family Center's interns to help
them to fully articulate and finalize their business plans.
4. Targeted case management and barrier removal – Participants benefit from Asylum Hill Family Center's robust basic needs program providing case management, assistance accessing work supports as well as food, clothing,rental and utility assistance.
5. Business start up incentive – Participants who successfully complete the program and submit a business plan receive a business start up incentive of up to $350 to help launch their own business.
6. Alumni Group- An alumni group was established in 2015 as a venue where graduates could provide support to their fellow entrepreneurs, mentor new participants, receive technical assistance and support expanding their business as well as access to additional funding opportunities to expand their business.
Our Mission: Motivated by Christ's social teachings and respect for the richness of diversity, Catholic Charities exists to promote the dignity, self-sufficiency and human potential of those in need.
Our Vision: Individuals, families and communities will become healthy, self-sufficient and productive, thriving in a just and compassionate society.
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 10 AM - 8 PM
The program is open to all fathers who reside in Hartford, with a particular emphasis on fathers residing in Asylum Hill.